Bhang is a drink made by pounding ganja leaves with a little black pepper and sugar, and diluting with water to the desired strength.
Various kinds of special beverages are prepared by the middle and well-to-do classes by the addition of almonds, sugar,iced milk, curds, etc.
A number of other ingredients are often added to improve the taste and also possibly with the idea of enhancing the euphoric effect of the beverage.
Among these ingredients,aniseed, ajawan, cucumber, melon and poppy seeds, rose petals, saffron, cloves,cardamom and musk are the most common. Pistachio nuts, asafoetida, liquorice, senna leaves and extracts derived from various other herbs are not infrequently added.
Fruit juices such as those derived from pomegranate, date-palm and bael-fruit and also coco-nut milk form ingredients of such drinks.
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred)
- 4 cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons blanched and chopped almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala (a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, and cardamon)
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 cup sugar
- Bring the water to a rapid boil and pour into a clean teapot.
- Remove any seeds or twigs from the marijuana, add it to the teapot and cover.
- Let this brew for about 7 minutes.
- Now strain the water and marijuana through a piece of muslin cloth, collect the water and save.
- Take the leaves and flowers and squeeze between your hands to extract any liquid that remains.
- Add this to the water.
- Place the leaves and flowers in a mortar and add 2 teaspoons warm milk.
- Slowly grind the milk and leaves together.
- Gather up the marijuana and squeeze out as much milk as you can.
- Repeat this process until you have used about 1/2 cup of milk (about 4 to 5 times).
- Collect all the milk that has been extracted and place in a bowl.
- By this time the marijuana will have turned into a pulpy mass.
- Add the chopped almonds and some more warm milk.
- Grind this in the mortar until a fine paste is formed.
- Squeeze this paste and collect the extract as before.
- Repeat a few more times until all that is left are some fibres and nut meal.
- Discard the residue.
- Combine all the liquids that have been collected, including the water the marijuana was brewed in.
- Add to this the garam masala, dried ginger and rosewater.
- Add the sugar and remaining milk.
- Chill, serve, and enjoy.