Always use real, unsalted butter.
You will need a large pot with a lid, spoon, strainer, cloth, large bowl.
- Water (Enough to keep the herb floating 50mm above the bottom of the pot).
- Unsalted butter 500 grams
- Cannabis 15 to 30 grams with all stalks and seeds removed.
The Cannabis to butter ratio can vary to suit your need. 1:1 weight ratio for weak leaf.
Cannabis strength varies and there is no “standard” so quantities are approximate.
Use your own judgement when measuring based on your knowledge of the Cannabis you’re using.
- Heat the water on low until it reaches a simmer.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Add the Cannabis.
- Slowly boil off all the water in the butter.
The secret is to get the mixture up over 150C or 300F degrees.
This converts most of the THC-acid, which doesn’t get you high, into THC which does get you high.
DO NOT LET THE MIX GET OVER 180C or 350F DEGREES
- Simmer for about four hours.
- Cover the pot to reduce evaporation.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add small amounts of water if the pot starts to dry up.
When done, the mixture will look much like dirty bong water with a thick, glossy layer on top.
- Line a strainer with cheese cloth.
- Strain the plant matter and squeeze all the butter into a large bowl.
- Allow to cool then refrigerate.
A few hours later, the mixture is cool enough that the CannaButter has solidified on the surface.
The THC-infused CannaButter separates from the water as it cools.
Remove the firm CannaButter from the water in the bowl and store it in the fridge or freezer.
Use in any recipe that calls for butter.
Try quarter or half a cookie at first to gauge the effect.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup CannaButter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine flour baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Cream together CannaButter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then add vanilla, slowly add flour mixture until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into shapes and place on greaseproof paper on a tray
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool.
There are many variations to the recipe for CannaButter and cookies.
Share what you know and experiment.