HEMP Party Advertising.
How do I do it? & What do I have to think about?
This information is aimed at alerting HEMP Party officers to their legal responsibilities when it comes to putting out advertising material.
WHAT MUST BE AUTHORISED
An ‘Authorised by’ line MUST be added to any advertisement put out by the HEMP Party.
An advertisement is any text that:
- Is associated with an Australian election,
- Is produced for or on behalf of the HEMP Party,
- And attempts to alter a persons voting intention.
This means that almost every piece of text put out publicly by the HEMP Party must carry an ‘Authorised by’ line.
WHAT DOES THE AUTHORISATION HAVE TO SAY?
An authorisation notice must provide the authorising agents name and address as it appears on the electoral roll as well as the declaration of authorisation.
Authorised by Andrew Kavasilas 465 Crofton Road NIMBIN NSW 2480, on behalf of the HEMP Party.
1. Does the advertisement contain acceptable content?
a. No sex specific language (use ‘person’, ‘citizen’, ‘they’, ‘them’, ‘voter’, NOT ‘man’, ‘woman’, ‘he’, ‘she’, ‘mankind’ etc.)
b. No colloquialisms or slang.
c. No swear words.
d. No ‘attack’ ads.
e. No copyright material not owned by the HEMP Party.
2. Has the advertisement been ‘sighted & approved’. At least two officers of any Branch must sight and approve an advertisement, one of which must be an accredited ‘authorising agent’. Records of this process of approval must be kept. This requirement is mandatory.
Approval may be granted in any of the following ways:
a. An advertisement may be presented to an ordinary meeting of the Party and be provided approval in the minutes of a meeting (this should be noted or copy & pasted to the Journal), or
b. An advertisement may be presented to two or more Branch office holders by an authorising agent with the copy pasted to the journal containing notations of their approval, or
c. An advertisement may be presented to the President of the State Branch by the authorising agent with the copy pasted to the journal containing the President’s notation of approval, or
d. The State Branch President may authorise the advertisement upon its being sighted by one or more officers of a State Branch with the copy pasted to the journal containing notations of their approval.
3. An ‘authorising agent’ is the person whose details are provided in the ‘authorisation’ that is appended to an advertisement. A HEMP Party authorizing agent must be:
a. Any currently serving and duly elected officer of a State Branch of the HEMP Party,
b. Any currently serving and duly elected officer of a Federal Branch of the HEMP Party,
c. Any individual nominated in the minutes of a meeting of the HEMP Party (State or Federal) who has been described as a duly accredited authorizing agent for the Federal HEMP Party of Australia
4. A copy of every HEMP Party advertisement that has been issued will be placed in the State Branch ‘Journal’ containing records of the date of issue, who authorized it, and the projected cost of the advertising.
IF IN DOUBT ASK!
PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL CAMPAIGN DIRECTOR OR YOUR LOCAL BRANCH SECRETARY IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH HEMP PARTY ADVERTISING